Selling an Out of Stock Item – Special Orders or Adjusting Inventory
When an out of stock product is placed on an invoice, you have several choices presented to you in Point of Sale:
- Special Order
- Special order from another location; Initiate a transfer request
- This appears for accounts that have multiple stores that are linked AND the item is found to be in stock at another location
- This item is NOT out of stock
Best practice is always to tell Orchid POS what is actually happening! If it's out of stock, it should be a special order. If it's not, you can tell it that, too.
Creating a Special Order
- When an item is truly out of stock, you should create a special order. This:
- Starts the process for the paper trail to follow the actual chain of events: the item is needed, it’s ordered, it’s received (+1 inventory), then delivered (-1 inventory).
- Flags the item on the Select Parts to Order page as needing to be ordered for a customer
- Places the item on the Customers Waiting page while it waits for delivery
- Tells the receiving employee that the item is needed to fulfill a customer order.
Creating a Transfer Request if an Item is Available at Another of Your Locations
- If an item is out of stock at Store A but is available at Store B, you will see the special order option as well as the option to create a transfer request from Store B.
- This option will not appear if the item is not in stock at any of your stores.
- Enter the quantity you would like to request from the other store and then click Proceed.
(You can read more about inventory transfers between stores HERE)
Delivering a Special Order
- When the item arrives from your supplier for a customer's order, it must first be received into inventory.
- As it’s received, Orchid POS will notify you that it is needed to fulfil a customer’s order and offer to mark it as delivered. This is only an option if it does not require a serial number to be recorded.
- After the item is received, you need to review the sale invoice. This can be done by clicking on the invoice number from the customer’s history, from the Purchase Orders > Customers Waiting page, the Manage Invoice page, or the customer’s all in one popup.
- Click the delivery truck icon next to the item. This will mark it delivered and remove it from stock.
Adjusting Inventory from Point of Sale While You’re Selling It
- If an item you are selling shows as out of stock in your inventory system but truly is not (“it’s not out of stock, I’m holding it in my hand!”), then select “This item is not out of stock” then click Proceed.
- You will then be presented with the option to enter the number you do actually have in stock.
Adjust Inventory in Stock Manually
If you need to adjust your inventory levels manually for one or a few items you can use the Update Wizard or the part's details page. Both options are covered in this article. For a physical count and resulting adjustment of an entire store or ...
Orchid POS Inventory Management
Beta Release: New Create Purchase Order Page Beta Release: New Manage Products Page Beta Release: New Select Parts to Order Page Orchid POS Says Part Number Already Exists, but I Can't Find It Add, Edit, Delete Categories Adjust Inventory in Stock ...
Create a New Product (Part, Item, Retail Inventory)
What is a Product? Products are: Standard tangible and non-tangible items sold on an invoice during a transaction. Examples: Eye protection, shipping fee, bag of chips, t-shirt, admission fee. Creating a New Product (individually, without a template, ...
Transfer Inventory from One Location to Another
Orchid POS Inventory Transfer For stores with multiple linked location accounts An inventory transfer helps you to move products from one store location to another or from a central warehouse location to your sub-stores. First, a transfer request is ...
Selling an Item with a Unique Description Each Time
If a product consistently requires a new description each time it is sold, you can set it to be a miscellaneous item. "Is Miscellaneous Item" is an option on the part details page. Office > Inventory > Products > Manage Products; search for the item ...